Comment Wall

Portfolio: The Birth of Harry Potter

An Owl, like the companion of Harry Potter

Comments

  1. Hello Nathaniel, I thought your Harry Potter twist on the story of the birth of Jesus was absolutely wonderful! Being a fan of Harry Potter and seeing all the movies and read most of the books caused me to really get into the story you wrote. I thought your story was very well written and flowed really well throughout the entirety of it. I wonder if you are going ot base any other stories off Harry Potter and tell about the things he has to go through at the school, that would be super fun. Also I thought your portfolio is also looking good. I thought the use of Hogwarts as the cover picture for your story was a good choice because it gives a god preview to what the story is will be about. If I had to suggest something I would suggest to add a link to your comment wall under the story and on your cover page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathaniel! I thought that you did a wonder job with your adaptation of a biblical story. I loved how you tied in Harry Potter to make a entirely new story! Your portfolio looks great and I like the images you chose to go with it. The story itself was very well written and easy to follow. I felt as though I was in the story myself. I feel like you did the original story justice with your adaptation. Overall, great job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nathaniel! I just finished reading your story "Squidward's Art," and loved it! It was such a fun story to read. I especially liked how you went along the story line of the actual show. I thought you told the story in a very creative way, which made me want to continue reading. At the beginning of the story I started feeling bad for Squidward. Only making a five cents a day and not having any friends sounds pretty rough. Towards the end though I started feeling happy for him. I'm glad his most loved sculpture was able to be brought to life, even if it was in a pretty weird way. I think it would have made the story a bit more interesting if there was some dialogue between the characters, maybe between SpongeBob and Patrick? I also liked the names you gave to the wife and the baby, pretty unique and funny! Nice job on this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathaniel,
    I loved the two stories that were available. I loved how you wrote a story about Squidward for SpongeBob. I can’t believe you took the love that he had for himself and shaped it into a story where he ended up marring a creation of his own, but that’s narcissism for you. In this story the only immediate problem that stuck out to me was this sentence. “However, he opens the door of his house to find that his sculpture had become alive.” I think instead of become to you should say that it had come to life sounds better than it had become alive but this may just be a person thing. It may be grammatically correct still. I also loved the harry potter story. I love how you changed it to where the potter parent were still alive. In this story you might give detail of the characters to let people know how they look. I know since his parent were alive harry doesn’t have the scare. Great stories keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nathaniel, I have just finished reading your second story about Harry Potter and I thought it was very creative how you tied Harry Potter to the birth of Jesus. I had previously read your first story and so I noticed a pattern with the two being closely related to the inspiration from where the stories came from. Your story took me back to when I was six years old and I saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on its opening weekend. My favorite part of the story is the characters that you have in it. I love how you let imagery carry the story along with the intense scene with Lord Voldemort killing the children of magical families instead of Harry's family. I wonder if you intend on introducing a Malfoy-like character into the story or some kind of arch rival for Harry to prove his ability and skills too? I feel like once you go more in depth and introducing a character that could be Malfoy or equivalent would help out the story more but Overall, I feel like you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nathaniel,
    I think you did an excellent job with both of these stories. I was very interested in the design of your layout that you chose for your Squidward story. Growing up I watched Spongebob almost every morning before school, I was happy to see how adequately you could parallel between the Pygmalion story and Squidward's struggles. If I was to make a suggestion, in the second paragraph of the Squidward story I feel like you should only use "one day", one time. Perhaps at the second use of "one day" you could use an alternative like "After a period of time...". I thought having your author's note on the left side like that was a great idea. That being said, even though you put it in italics, I feel like the page could benefit from that paragraph having a short title that denotes that it is in fact the author's note. Overall I feel like these stories were very creative. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nathaniel, reading though your portfolio I was missing something, a little introduction to tell me about what to expect. Personally I think that would have helped me guide my reading. I loved how you used Squidward for the Pygmalion story! I have never been a big Spongebob fan, but knowing what I know about the show it seems like a great fit! Using the Flying Dutchman was also a great addition. Your authors note was very clear and explained your thought process very well.

    - Anna Margret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Nathan!
    When I first read your Squidward story I was a bit purplexed because I did not know what was going on. In the first half of the story I thought you were merely reciting an episode for the audience that you had seen. As I went further along the story I realized that was not the case at all!! Your incredible writing has a way of mimicking the original works! I was very interested in how the story would turn out and your incorporation of the plot/original characters was so seemless it felt like it had to have been part of a larger, more true story. Thank you for your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there Nathaniel! This is the first time I'm seeing story posts from you I think. I like that both of your stories are creative and have their own themes! I think it would be extremely helpful to your readers to add in some sort of introduction to your portfolio either on your homepage or maybe making it a separate page? You could explain your vision for your stories, how they all differ, maybe how they all connect? Anything to see what you're going for! They also had different writing styles and page setup so I wasn't sure if this was going to be a continued thing to expect or if you are going to make them uniform later on. I think one of the revision challenges is doing a re-vamp on some designs as well! I love your creativity and your dimension in your adaptations, and if you could transfer any of that on your website I know it would be awesome! I can't wait to read more of your stories and see how you develop c:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nathaniel! I love how you combined a mythological story with a modern show! I thought this made the story much more relatable for today. I also liked how you used the Flying Dutchman to replace Venus in the original story. I read, and wrote one of my own stories based on, Pygmalion's story. I thought your explanation for why you chose Squidward, since he takes pride in his work, worked well with the character of Pygmalion. Similarly to your first story, I like how you combined a Biblical story with a modern book and movie tale! I have never thought much about the similarities between Harry Potter and Jesus, but now that you have written about it, I see the connection with the prophecy! I really appreciated that James and Lily were alive in this story... I like to think of your story as the life that Harry could have had with his parents that he was robbed of in the books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nathaniel! I really enjoyed reading your portfolio. I really liked you Squidward Art story. I thought it was cute and entertaining. I agree with previous comments that a little introduction would be helpful. I also think the layout of the three stories make it a little more difficult to follow. I really enjoyed your combined adaptation of Harry Potter and the birth of Jesus. I am such a Potterhead, and I thought you did a really nice job with that. I always saw a biblical element throughout the Harry Potter series and I really enjoyed how you emphasis that element. Overall, really nice portfolio. You did great this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Nathaniel! You have a pretty impressive portfolio going! I think it would be great, however, if you added a few words or links to your stories on the home page. It is a little empty for a home page. I love the themes of your story revisions. I love Harry Potter so that one definitely drew my attention. It is very creative how you changed a biblical story into a Harry Potter themed story. I agree with Shea that I enjoyed the fact that Lillie and James were alive in your story. Gave us HP fans something we have always wanted a little :). Overall I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nathaniel! Your portfolio is super impressive! I think the layouts of our portfolios are very similar in the way that they look. I read through a couple of your stories and I am super impressed with the way that you write. I immediately was drawn into your Harry Potter story because it is a modern version of mythology and folklore. I think anytime someone makes a modern version of something, it immediately draws readers in. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there!
    I read all three of the stories from your portfolio. I liked how each of your stories managed to connect a more modern story with some older story from mythology or folklore. Some of the connections I had never really thought about until I read your stories. I just wanted to mention really quick that you might want to add a link to this comment wall somewhere on your Google site for your portfolio so that people don't have to find your blog or go to the class directory to get here. Other than that, I didn't really see anything wrong in any of your stories and I enjoyed reading all of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Computer Engineering Student

Week 2 Story: Squidward Tennisballs