Growth Mindset

I've heard Carol Dweck's Ted Talk in the past at the beginning of my senior year of high school, roughly 2 years ago.  I can't really find myself empathizing with the "Power of Yet" that she speaks of.  Before college, I was always an overachiever that didn't have to struggle to earn good grades in school.  I did very well in high school actually.  However, when I got to college, I found that I didn't have good discipline in my studies and that I struggle with school way harder than I did in high school.  The problem with the "Power of Yet" is that this society of today is SO much more competitive than in the past.  If you don't hustle, then you won't make it.  In her Ted Talk, she says that we as a society focus too hard on the "Power of Now" than the "Power of Yet".  However, we need to use that urgency of not knowing something to drive us to learn it.  For example, let's say that I'm taking a Physics class.  If I get behind on the something early such as vectors, I need to learn it.  If I rely on the "Power of Yet", I would get really behind, and I wouldn't be able to learn mechanics because I don't know vectors yet.  The "Power of Yet" is fundamentally flawed, because when taking in two applicants, the applicant that has more knowledge "now" will have more worth than the applicant who will have the knowledge later.  I'm not bashing on the Growth Mindset.  I'm saying that we can't use it as an excuse that we will learn later.  Instead of saying we will learn it later, we need to learn it now.  Growth Mindset isn't bad, but it can be bad if it's not used correctly and abused. 
To get better at Scrabble, I need to grow my vocabulary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Computer Engineering Student

Week 2 Story: Squidward Tennisballs